Norpak Handling’s tips on picking the most suitable sortation conveyorFebruary 6, 2019 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
For many plants and warehouses, a basic conveyor system is not sufficient. In mass processing, sorting capabilities are required to put products into different distribution lines. A sortation conveyor is designed to perform this function, which increases processing efficiency. Norpak Handling supplies different types of sortation systems that address varying individual needs.
In a recent blog post, Norpak points out the factors that organizations should consider when selecting the right sortation conveyor for their facilities.
Budget, speed, and more
Before looking at conveyor options, a business should consider three main things: the type of materials to be handled; speed; and budget. First, the required conveyor depends on the size and weight of the products the facility handles, as well as the packaging (boxes or bags), as each packaging type needs a different mechanism for smooth transportation. In addition, a conveyor with high speed may not necessarily be the best one, as some items may require slower conveyance due to fragility or safety.
Budget is always a limiting factor, and an organization should invest in the highest-quality sortation conveyor that it can afford. Other wise considerations include available floor space in the facility and whether technology that maximizes energy efficiency is a priority.
Now it is time to consider the options available. Norpak has the following sortation systems to offer:
- Sliding shoe sorter. Recommended for high-speed processing and for smaller, fragile materials. This system has aluminum slats with sliding shoes that divert products.
- Narrow belt sorter. Multiple narrow belts separated by pop-up rollers that divert products at 30- and 90-degree angles. Enables greater tracking and control of product movement.
- Pusher sorter. Right-angle sorters for small-to-medium-sized products. Recommended for facilities with limited space, as it has close divert centres.
- Sweep sorter. This system uses bi-directional paddles to divert products and right angles. Perfect for high-density facilities that handle small packages.
- Belted pivot wheel sorter. Includes two sets of pivoting wheels to divert products. Ideal for sorting medium-sized packages. Options include single- or dual-sided diverts and close divert centres for minimal space.
To learn more, contact Norpak Handling.