Lineup of ground resistance testers offers many optionsFebruary 6, 2015 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
The earth’s abundance and availability make it an indispensable component of a properly functioning electrical system. Earth resistance — the resistance of soil to the passage of electric current — is measured in two ways:
- Determining effectiveness of “ground” grids and connections that are used with electrical systems to protect personnel and equipment; and
- Prospecting for good (low resistance) “ground” locations, or obtaining measured resistance values that can give specific information about what lies some distance below the earth’s surface (such as depth to bed rock).
Ground resistance testing covers the testing of earth electrodes and the measurement of soil resistivity. The instrument selected depends on the applications it’s being used for.
Megger offers systems for design and soil surveys, as well as tough, easy-to-use testers for field engineers. The Markham, Ont.-based company’s lineup of testers includes:
- The DET4TD2 is a dry-cell battery-powered basic four-terminal tester.
- The DET4TC2 is a dry-cell battery-powered four-terminal tester with selectable test frequencies, greater measurement sensitivity and attached rod technique and stakeless measurement capability.
- The DET14C and DET24C are advanced clamp-on ground resistance testers that set new standards in terms of access, performance, features, simplicity of operation and safety. These units are designed with flat core ends to prevent dirt build-up, ensuring measurement integrity and improved reliability over products with interlocking teeth.
- The DET4TR2 is a rechargeable battery-powered basic four-terminal tester.
- The DET3TD three-terminal ground resistance tester provides digital ground testing and bond test capabilities for basic requirements.
- The DET3TC three-terminal ground resistance tester is capable of testing on-site grounds without disconnecting the utility connection.
- The DET2/2 four-terminal digital ground resistance tester provides a wide resistance range for testing larger or more complex grounding systems and for difficult testing environments. Microprocessor control and advanced filtering simplify testing in environments with high levels of interference.
- The GTS-300 is a two-piece test set designed to ensure the integrity of grounding systems and to test personal safety grounds. The high-current method of testing ground grid continuity and connections is a reliable, accurate method of detecting faults in the ground system.
Many of Megger’s testers are self-checking, allowing users to concentrate on collating and understanding the results. The company has years of experience supplying test instruments, and can provide customers with advice on proper instrument selection. Contact Megger for details.