Intrinsically safe smartphones ideal for use in hazardous areasMarch 20, 2017 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
Process Instruments & Components can supply products from ECOM Instruments, a member of the Pepperl + Fuchs family. This offering includes the Smart-Ex 01 and Ex-Handy 09 intrinsically safe 4G / LTE smartphones. These rugged phones, which are based on an Android operating system, are approved for use in hazardous areas, making them a top choice for many demanding industrial applications.
These devices are unlocked and SIM free, offering a reliable connection to any network, worldwide. They offer many best-in-class features that make them ideal for use in challenging industrial environments across the globe, including;
- 4G / LTE cellular network connectivity;
- WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n;
- IP68 dust-proof and waterproof;
- A four-inch capacitive touchscreen made of extreme shock-resistant and scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass 2, which can be operated while wearing gloves;
- A high-visibility display that can be used in direct sunlight;
- A five- to eight-megapixel camera (depending on the model chosen) with auto focus and the ability to take quality pictures in bad light conditions;
- A 3,600 or 4,800 mAh Li-Ion battery pack (depending on the model selected), for up to 40 hours of talk time; and
- A magnetic and waterproof USB 2.0 high-speed connector.
In addition, the phones support the latest Bluetooth standards, which allows real-time connectivity to both Bluetooth SmartReady Low Energy 4.0 (BLE) devices, as well as older legacy Bluetooth devices. This means mobile workers can benefit from the phones’ expanded capabilities, including data collection and measuring/monitoring devices, headsets, AutoID, and Bluetooth Beacons for localization.
Safety is a priority when carrying any electronic device into environments with potentially explosive atmospheres. That’s why the Smart-Ex 01 and Ex-Handy 09 phones are certified for use in Zone 1 / Division 1 areas and classified as intrinsically safe. This means they employ additional safety circuits or factors of safety in the event of potential failure, and they pass extreme impact and drop tests, climate tests and aging tests.
To learn more about the many features of these phones, contact Process Instruments & Components.