HBM isolation system offers many benefitsNovember 20, 2015 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
HBM’s ISOBE5600 isolation system is now available from Durham Instruments. The system, designed to offer external fibre optic isolation for existing measurement systems, has many features and benefits that make it an ideal solution for the power and utility market.
The system features a transmitter unit — either the battery-powered ISOBE5600t unit for high voltage applications, or the line-fed ISOBE5600tm for medium voltage applications with isolated power supply (10-kV isolation). The transmitter unit is connected by optical fibre to the ISOBE5600r receiver unit.
The system’s many features offer several key benefits to users. These include:
- High precision: When positioned close to the test object, the transmitter performs the signal A/D conversion, and the digital transmission of measurement data via optical fibre. Digital signal transmission is known to provide a significant increase in measurement accuracy compared to analog transmission. The ISOBE5600 isolation system is designed to eliminate signal drift and transmission line noise. The D/A converter in the receiver unit performs the re-conversion of data into analog signals, thereby enabling further processing with conventional measurement technology.
- Large bandwidth: The ISOBE5600 isolation system offers nine measurement ranges, from ± 100 mV to ± 50 V. The bandwidth of 20 MHz — higher than a normal isolation amplifier — not only covers applications with DC signals or power line frequencies, but also those applications involving high clock-rate switching power supply and motor controls.
- Installation: Up to four transmitters can be connected via optical fibre to a receiver. Equipped with display and multi-functional dial, the receiver has all the necessary controls to enable the direct and remote setup of installed transmitters for measurement, from a safe distance. The ISOBE5600 isolation system is compatible with data acquisition instruments from HBM, like its GEN3i portable data recorder, as well as those from other manufacturers.
- User friendly: Both the input and output are analog signals. This makes the system as easy to use as a probe or sensor. There is no software involved, and no data stored or recorded.
- Reliable: The ISOBE5600t transmitter unit features a rechargeable battery that provides energy for 12 hours of continuous operation. It is easily replaced and can come with an optional second rechargeable battery, doubling the operating time to 24 hours. In addition, the system is reliable because it offers accuracy, and minimizes such common measurement problems as ground loops, long signal lines and random signals.
- Secure: Thanks to the use of optical fibre, this system offers secure digital data transmission.
For additional details on the ISOBE5600 isolation system, contact Durham Instruments.