Eyebolt installation tips for application successApril 17, 2015 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
Ken Forging is committed to its customers’ success. The manufacturer of eyebolts knows it has a high-quality product — manufactured to ASME B18.15 and tested to ASTM A489 specifications — but the Jefferson, Ohio-based company also knows that proper installation is key to its product’s success.
With that in mind, Ken Forging offers the following installation tips:
- When installing an eyebolt, the receiving hole should be counter-sunk and be free and clear of any debris to assure proper seating.
- Loads should always be aligned to the plane of the eye, not at an angle to the plane. A steel washer or spacer may be used in conjunction with shoulder eyebolts to attain proper load alignment, but the thickness of the steel washer or spacer must not exceed one thread pitch.
- Angular lifting should be avoided because it significantly reduces rated capacities.
- Always check seating after applying an angular lift since the initial lift may cause the bolt to back away from the load. If this occurs, the eyebolt should be unloaded and properly reseated.
- For applications with untapped through-holes, longer length shoulder eyebolts are recommended, using a steel washer and nut for the required thread length of engagement.
- Shoulder eyebolt tapped holes should have a threaded length, which allows for full length of shank engagement and clearance for the unthreaded portion of shank.
- Shoulder eyebolts must be firmly seated and flush against the mating surface. If it’s not, the rated capacity is significantly reduced. The use of a steel washer or spacer is permissible and may be required; however, the thickness must not exceed one thread pitch.
- Plain eyebolt tapped holes are to be threaded for full length engagement of the eyebolt.
- Plain eyebolts must have full thread shank engagement, allowing for one-half turn for proper eye-alignment to obtain rated capacities.
In addition to these helpful tips, the company’s website highlights safety precautions and rated capacity guidelines. Contact Ken Forging for details on this, as well as its substantial inventory of eyebolts. The company offers custom forgings up to 250 pounds, and guarantees same-day or next-day shipping for all in-stock items.