How to ensure a proper fitting safety shoe or work bootJuly 19, 2016 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
When it comes to selecting safety footwear, making sure the shoe fits right is a critical component. But it’s about more than just size. There are various factors that contribute to the right fit. And if the shoe fits, the result is increased comfort and productivity.
The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety offers these tips for finding the proper fit:
- Time of day: The ideal time of day to try on new boots or shoes is around midday, as feet normally swell during the day.
- Try it out: It’s about more than the shoe fitting your foot. They need to be comfortable, too. Walk around a bit when trying on the shoes to ensure they are comfortable.
- Toe room: Your toes should be about 12.5 millimetres (about ½ an inch) from the front of the boot, giving you ample room. Do not expect footwear to stretch with wear.
- Bring it with you: If you require extra socks or special arch supports when wearing shoes or boots, bring them with you to ensure a proper fit. However, be sure to check with the manufacturer to find out if adding inserts affects your level of protection.
- Ankle support: When shopping for boots, they should fit snugly around the heel and ankle when laced. Fully lacing up the boots provides support against ankle injury.
A trusted expert
Mister Safety Shoes has been a trusted footwear expert for more than 40 years. The company offers an extensive lineup of specialized safety footwear, from athletics and casual shoes to heavy-duty work boots, metatarsal protective footwear, winter boots and uniform and duty footwear. Its wide selection, with more sizes and widths than any other provider, ensures that Canadian workers can find the safety shoe or boot with the fit and quality they need.
Mister Safety Shoes operates 16 retail store locations in Ontario and Alberta, as well as 16 convenient mobile trucks that bring the company’s extensive safety shoe, insole and work boot showroom to employees on site. Its expertly trained staff are available to measure each customer’s foot to ensure they find the best footwear to meet their unique needs and preferences.
To learn more about proper fit, contact Mister Safety Shoes.