The benefits of preformed wire ropesAugust 12, 2015 REDWIRE is news you can use from leading suppliers. Powered by FRASERS.
Post your own REDWIRE news Subscribe
Free REDWIRE e-newsletter
Among its many offerings, Bergen Cable carries preformed wire rope — rope where individual wires in the strands and the strands in the rope are pre-shaped before assembled into the finished rope.
There are many benefits to using preformed wire rope:
- Helps retain proper position. Pre-shaping is used to remove the natural tendency of the wires and strands to straighten, and causes them to retain their proper positions.
- Broken ends do not untwist. Broken rope ends do not untwist, increasing the salvage value of broken ropes.
- Easier installation and handling. Because they don’t have twisting tendencies, preformed wire ropes are easier to install and handle than non-preformed ropes. They are also less likely to suffer damage from kinking or fouling.
- Resistance to fatigue. Pre-shaping removes internal stresses, which increases resistance to fatigue from bending.
- Decreases chance of injury: Broken wire ends from preformed wires will not protrude from the rope to injure a worker's hands, to nick and distort adjacent wires, or to wear sheaves and drums.
For more information on its preformed wire rope and the benefits to users, contact Bergen Cable. The Fairfield, N.J.-based company is a leader in the manufacture of wire rope and mechanical cable assemblies. Its reputation for excellence stems from its experienced team of professionals, state-of-the-art technology, fine-tuned manufacturing techniques and its high standard of quality assurance.